Jun 23, 2012

The language of violence in Libyan Paradise 2012

Numerous insurgent groups refuse to hand over their arms. They are trying to wrest special rights from the interim government which is grappling with its hold on power.

Militia groups, Islamist fighters , religious radical groups took to the streets in a long parade to demonstrate their power.
Rebels feb17 are taking their right "to rule the country".

 The arms trade is booming and many former fighters refuse to give up their weapons. At the same time, the NTC so-called government is a long way off from controlling the country. This is why the militia groups [armed gangs] can successfully push through their demands. This includes guarantees of immunity for all killing, rapes, tortures committed during the revolution.

There are understandings within the Islamist groups which stipulate that the ex-prisoners keep 40 percent of the compensation payment, while the remaining 60 percent go to the groups themselves.
This will enable them to become the most wealthy "political groups" in Libya.
No less problematic are the ample sums which NTC aka the interim government paid the militias - as recognition for their actions during the war. This money flowed too hastily. Nobody knows the whereabouts of this money.
Protest against torture in Libya
Story Thu Jun 21, 2012
Even Western media can not be quite about that
(Reuters) - Abdulnasser Ruhuma was asleep in his bed when [armed gang] aka the militia fighters barged into his Tripoli home. The shouting woke the Libyan bank worker and he rushed downstairs to find around 40 men pointing their rifles at him.

Moments later they started beating him. Ruhuma's wife and relatives begged the intruders to stop but they dragged him and his uncle away. Punched, hit with rifle butts and cut with knives, Ruhuma was taken to a makeshift detention centre in the middle of the night.

"We weren't told anything, we were just beaten - our hands, our legs, our bodies," the 42-year old father-of-two said.

"I thought I would never make it out alive."

Al-Amin Al-Sahli was at home when four men from a brigade arrived in a pick-up truck and asked him to go to their headquarters. They did not say why.

The 38-year-old, a state employee living in Libya's third largest city Misrata and the brother of a Reuters cameraman, decided to comply and arrived at the base half an hour later.

"They took my phone, my things and then led me through the back door to another office. Then they covered my eyes and tied my hands," he said as he lay in hospital after his ordeal.

"They started beating me, torturing me. They put me on a device - they called it a Honda Civic," he said, describing it as a metallic frame to which his arms and legs were tied.

"They beat me with cables and sticks and everything they had on my back, my legs and all sensitive areas of my body."
During his detention, he said he was put in a cell with other prisoners, some of them with broken legs. "I've never seen anything as criminal as this before."
Full story on The Reuters page here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...